Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Critique: Understanding rap battles and the complexity of Title IX

So, this week I turned in my final cover concept for the 3/25 issue of VOX. I got to use some pretty awesome photos from a photo-j student's studio shots of some of the local battlers. There's a lot of prepositions in that sentence, and I apologize. Anyway, the design I submitted is a lot tamer than the other ones I have shown to VOX, but I wanted to keep it simple so that the rappers' personalities would shine through the photo. I used three layers of the photo to have the text interacting with the people in the photo, but I might have made the text even smaller if I redid it. Even though my design wasn't chosen this time, I am happy with the decision they made. Bailey's design was really cool, had more of the VOX voice and was definitely more colorful. Way to go Bailey!

I also submitted my final feature for VOX for the semester, which kind of makes me happy inside. Now I can just work on my Web site and the Meredith project. A lot of weight off my shoulders, you know? Anyway. Title IX. It got off to a rocky start. Mainly because I had no idea what to do with it. At first it didn't really have a specific angle, then it did but needed more voices. Luckily, I had worked with the editor on the piece before, and the reporter is VOX's assistant art director. Without that communication thing I had talked about before, this design would have fallen to pieces. I think the final turned out really good. I will add photos when I nab them off the server tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment