I was assigned the photo feature (Lucky me!) and I messed with the photos a lot. I decided to run the opening photo very large on the first spread because I thought it was gorgeous. It would also elicit more responses, which is what the story is about — using photos to interview people. I used an art head, but kept it to the bottom left of the spread because I didn't want to detract from the photo. As for the second spread, I wanted to used a variety of photos, and because the story was only 500ish words (plus a mini bio, which wasn't added to this draft), I had a lot of freedom. Not much has actually changed from these drafts except my blurb, which we were supposed to have freedom over anyway. I am not exactly pleased with the final (which I will post in a few days), but I guess that's what happens in the real world with real life art directors that want to stifle creativity.
We also turned in our top five logo designs for our up-and-coming country artist, Laura Bell Bundy. (We were given permission to use her name, just not information from our interviews) Anyway, those are my final five up there. I really like the left two, and I designed more for LBB on the right three. All in all, I think it has been a long process for these things. I really hope she likes them! She will be getting at least five from each of the designers. That's at least 80 logos to look at. Pretty insane.
As for what I am working on now...
- Three cover concepts for the 3/25 issue of VOX (remember that magazine?). They are on a couple of rap battlers in town. It should be pretty neat.
- My second/last feature for the 4/1 issue of VOX. It is all about Title IX. I am working with the same editor as before, which is great because Kelsey is awesome, and a write that is the assistant art director for the magazine. It should be a smooth ride, but that doesn't stop me from knocking on the nearest wooden object.
- My multimedia project is also due this weekend. Its a good thing Flash and I are friends now.
- I am also coming up with sketches for my new portfolio Web site. I want it to be tighter than the one I made over the summer.
- Last but certainly not least, the Celebrate Summer prototype. I still need to come up with colors and some fonts for Lauren. (I'm working on it, promise!)