Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Critique: DIY Summer

All of our pages had to be done for our Meredith prototypes by Tuesday so that we could show the publishers all of our work. That made for one interesting weekend. I got it all done though, and with a few minutes to spare. I really like how they turned out. We need to change a few unifying things such as bullet points and folios, but I think the magazine is coming along very nicely.

Above are my two front-of-book department pages, "Under the sun" and "Under the stars." They were two somewhat different departments because one of them had a lot of photos and the other one was a little lacking. Regardless, I think they turned out really good. I have had to tone all of the flip flop photos, and they still kinda look crummy. It was totally the jank photo studio equipment we used too, not the photogs at all. They were AMAZING.

I also designed a back-of-book department called "Fun at your fingertips." It was interesting to work with a crossword on the design aspect. I made it look cute though!

These last two are my feature pages. All of the photos are AMAZING and from the Meredith Creative LIbrary. Having awesome photos makes the design super awesome too. I also like working with publications that can bleed images. And yes, Jan, I do have a splash page, but I think the photo is amazing enough to carry it.

All in all, I am going to have to make a few changes, but not too many on these pages. That and John hasn't seen them yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment