Monday, July 26, 2010

Constructive criticism is, well, constructive

One of the things my "mentor" at the Missouri School of Journalism told me as I accepted my first journalism job is that I should always be looking for feedback on my work. She said that if a few months go by and I haven't heard either a "good job" or a "hey, you should work on this," I should ask for it myself. Thankfully, I haven't had to do that.

Every couple weeks, I have gotten the opportunity to sit down with the now-copy desk chief to talk about my design work: the challenges, what I would change, why something worked or didn't work. She gives me feedback and suggestions, and I value her opinions. Each time I talk to her, I get a chance to improve my skills and the work I produce.

I have a really good thing going on here at the Savannah Morning News.

No comments:

Post a Comment