Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Response: CRMA 2010 preliminary judges

Today in design lecture, we got the opportunity to be the preliminary judges in a competition put on by the City and Regional Magazine Association. While I can't tell you what the class ended up voting for, I can definitely express to you how hard judging a design contest is. It was much easier to narrow the contestants down at the beginning than it was toward the end. We also got around an hour to do it. I feel like we could have talked about any one of the entries for that amount of time.

I feel like sometimes design is like poetry to critiquers. You could say, "Oh, I'm sure this designer put this here and that there and used this font because she wanted to convey this message." But in reality, the designer could have done it for completely different reasons. What Jan said about judges of competitions (SSND, CPOY, etc.) made sense. She said a judge could really like something one day, then on the next could like a completely different entry. There were some entries I saw today that I had mixed feelings about, and I could have swayed in either direction had I had been in a different mood.

There were so many good things about the magazines we saw today, though. I'm really glad I got the opportunity to be a part of the competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment